Tuesday, 5 July 2016

The World Thinks I'm British

Strange edits I received on my novel

It’s summer in the suburbs. I have been trying to occupy myself with anything other than working on my next novel. Because I’m the worst.

Most of the year I live in London and just go lurk around the Tate Modern when I’m bored but now I’m back in the good ol’ USA. Happy late Fourth of July and all that.

My favorite piece at the Tate Modern. I will defend it to the grave. Yes, that's a urinal.


This living in the UK has confused some of my editors in the past, though, and I’d like to share some strange comments I’ve received on my novel because of it. One person thought I was stealing from George R. R. Martin by using the phrase “you know nothing” (I’ve never watched or read Game of Thrones before and I’m starting to feel like I should considering the actors like to come to the theatre I work at). Apparently I pull readers out of the story by making that reference, and I was almost impressed with myself.

Pro tip: if Mr. Martin has ever strung three words together before, avoid them.

My other favorite comments were the ones describing to me how the American schooling system works because no one knew I grew up in America. I fought for the accuracy of the air conditioning not working in school buildings. In the High School I went to, we boiled half the year. And also defended a three-point turn in a car being referred to as a K Turn.

The greatest edit I ever got, and it won’t be topped, is “This doesn’t sound like a girl from New Jersey.”

Oh the irony. I’m writing this on my bed in New Jersey.

Being edited is really great though! I feel like I grew so much as a writer and definitely understand comma splices more. It just gets funny at times.

Now I should go write more novels instead of blog posts and tweets and all that. But I am the procrastination queen and will most likely end up partying with a Neil Gaiman book for the rest of the day.

Proof I'm in New Jersey. My book with a funnel cake.


Stay stellar!

No comments:

Post a Comment