Friday, 15 July 2016

I’m A Published Author… Now What?

The day finally came and passed! July 14 was the release day for We Awaken and now I’m officially a published author.

It’s a bit bizarre.


So how did I celebrate? Well, being the poor planner that I am, I went to the dentist in the morning (got two cavities but that’s beside the point) and when they asked me what my plans for the day were I just went “uhhh… I’m going to an arcade later”. I’m still clinging to the belief that my pseudonym is hiding the fact I’m a writer although I’m the least discreet person in this country.

And so I went to an arcade and spent $20 to win a rubber turtle and a shit ton of stickers. I will accept all recommendations on where to stick them. Also I caught some Pokemon in the area and ate an unholy amount of seafood. So, all in all, I think I celebrated quite well. Not to mention my mother agreed to watch Moulin Rouge with me and she only complained for about half the movie, which is pretty good.

I feel like everything has been leading up to the book actually being out and now that it is I’m a bit “now what?” about everything. I’m hoping that the coming days bring good reactions from people who have already ordered the book and word spreading that it even exists. Mainly, though, I’m looking ahead at this point.

Because I live in London most of the year, I am used to long plane flights to get back to America. On my last one in June, I was struck with an awesome idea for a novel- which has nothing to do with airplanes- so I put the book I was working on to the side and am currently writing my new idea. It involves fairies and time bending and is all sorts of fun. What’s odd about this one, though, is that I’m handwriting the entire first draft.

#suffering



The book I gave up on to write this one, I had typed the first two drafts and it just didn’t seem like the best I could do. It was a contemporary romance and just not me, so hopefully this new fantastical plot suits my style better. I’ve already filled half of a Disney princess notebook which is a great start. Even if using a pen takes ages.

Now it’s just a matter of not losing that notebook and all my work…

So, writers, can’t decide whether to type or handwrite?

Pros of typing:
  • Spell check
  • Word count
  • Expedience
  • Not having to read your own handwriting

Cons of typing:
  • The internet is distracting
  • It’s faster so you think about the words less
  • Staring at a screen is distressing

I believe in using all resources available, and I only hand wrote one or two scenes from my first novel, so I validate your typing, but the next novel just feels to earthy to stare at a laptop the entire time I create the world these characters will live in.

Interested in what other shenanigans I've been getting up to? I went to Ham4Ham at Hamilton on Broadway and tragically did not win tickets. Visited a llama themed shop and a house shaped like an elephant. Basically, I've been screwing around and need to get to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment