Sunday, 24 July 2016

I Love Librarians, Shakespeare, Kate McKinnon, and You

This post serves two purposes:

  1. It allows me to brag about the progress I’ve made on the next novel
  2. It allows me to procrastinate on making any further progress in said novel

As I wrote about previously, I’m a masochist who decided to hand-write her next book. It’s been painful but I do think the work is more quality. This morning, I completely filled up my princess notebook!
Look at all these pages full of words. Now it’s a matter of hoping they aren’t all nonsense. And don’t be too impressed, my handwriting is MASSIVE.


And to support my writing process, I went out right when that was finished and bought this swanky new notebook on the right.


As you can see I’m fond of pink.
The next book is either going to be middle grade or young adult Magical Realism and is about fairies. I have been writing in #nature to get the forest vibes and have had an unfair amount of insects crawl on me because of this. So far I have been drawing inspiration from A Midsummer Night’s Dream as well as various other sources.

The most important one being the library.

Let me tell you how fantastic librarians are. I went to my library with the mission of finding everything to do with fairies and learn how to write about such a creature/society. I was hopeless. The only thing I managed to get my hands on were some Disney picture books about Tinker Bell. There was this one librarian in the Teen Zone who seemed desperate to help out, though, and by telling her I was doing research on fairy lore she hooked me up with massive amounts of books to take out, read there, as well as online resources and documentaries.

Librarians are stars.

Honestly this entire post feels like I’m just rewording Neil Gaiman’s main pieces of advice, which generally revolve around handwriting when laptops become too difficult and worshipping libraries. Soon I’ll be giving my own Make Good Art speech.

Something strange I’ve learned about fairies because of librarians:
People used to genuinely believe that fairies would come and replace children with one of their own kind. Parents would think that their children were swapped with “changelings” if they were diseased or deformed or just ate too much. This could have some nasty results.

I’ll report back with more fairy fun facts, I’m sure. If not a finished novel on the topic.

Allow me to now enlighten you with the other exciting things I’ve been getting up to:
  • Reading shit tons of Shakespeare in preparation for uni.
  • Screaming over the line “Villain, I have done thy mother” in Titus Andronicus.
  • Screaming over the trailer for American Gods.
  • Internally screaming at Ghostbusters because I wouldn’t dare shout over that fantastic film. Kate McKinnon is a gift to this universe.
  • Pretending to write a lot more than I have.

Also there’s been some great fanart and booktube videos for We Awaken and I’m so grateful and thrilled that they now exist in the world.
Stay stellar!

No comments:

Post a Comment